The 9th Annual Kamataukatshiut Festival will take place in the two Innu communities, Natuashish and Sheshatshiu, Labrador during the week of March 17-21, 2014. The Festival inspires youth to get creative and active and have fun doing it.
For information on the history of the festival, check out our new website www.kamataukatshiut.com
Cree performers from Alberta, Dallas Arcand and Beany (Crystal) John, will be joined by members of Wonderbolt Circus as they teach native dance, hip hop dancing, juggling, stilt walking, learning to ride unicycles, spin plates and perform circus antics. This festival is in large part due to the ongoing initiative of the Mamu Tshishkutamashutau Innu Education and the sponsors of the Festival that include the Innu Schools, Canadian Heritage, Government of NL, the NLAC, NALCOR and various local businesses. A major feature of the festival is performances by youth of both communities.
Some highlights of the festival include:
- Three time World Champion Hoop Dancer, Dallas Arcand, who is also a cedar flute player and motivational speaker
- Showing youth films, curated by the NICKEL Film Festival and presented by Monica Walsh.
- A clothesline photo stream of Innu youth participating in past and present festivals
Kamataukatshiut Festival Schedule:
- March 17th NATUASHISH – 10:30 to 12 noon and 1:00 to 3:00 workshop with Innu youth. After school workshop at school.
- March 18th 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. workshops. 1:00 p.m. show at MINS (MUSHUA INNU NATUASHISH SCHOOL), open to the public of Natuashish
- March 20th SHESHATSHIU – 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon and 1:00 to 3:00 workshop with Innu youth at the Sheshatshiu Innu School.
- March 21st 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. workshops. 1:00 p.m. show at SIS, open to the public
It is going to be a great Festival, with the Northern Lights guiding our way!!!!!
For interviews or more information call Cal Patey at 709 497-3664 ext 228 or Beni Malone, the Artistic Director of the Festival at 728-1819 or 722-1344.